At the end of every case our Jacksonville divorce attorneys provide clients with a checklist of items he or she should consider in light of his or her changed circumstances resulting from the divorce. One of the items asks clients to review any wills, trusts and other estate planning documents to be sure the provisions of the documents and particularly the designated beneficiaries are still accurate. If a client does not have any estate planning documents in place, we strongly suggest that the client consider what would happen if he or she, perhaps as a single parent now, were to become disabled or to die. Who would take care of your children? What would happen to your property? Our office can assist you in creating the estate planning documents you need, including any of the following:
- Will to designate what you want to have happen to your property upon your death and to name a guardian or guardians for your minor child.
- Living will to inform your healthcare providers about your wishes regarding your medical needs if you become incapacitated.
- Trust to ensure that money or property is managed and distributed exactly as you wish as some people do not want their former spouse managing their child’s inheritance.
- Durable power of attorney to allow a third party to make financial decisions for you or manage your finances if you are unable to.
- Health care surrogate document to allow a third party to make health and medical decisions for you if you are unable to make them yourself.
A wide variety of estate planning options exist with differing tax implications and different probate implications. To discuss which documents may be best for your particular situation and goals, contact a Jacksonville estate planning lawyer at (904) 683-3639 to schedule a consultation.
We offer a free, initial half hour consultation either by phone or at the office and will discuss with you your options for proceeding, services and costs. To speak with a Jacksonville divorce attorney or family law lawyer, contact us today at (904) 683-3639.